Advice + Info
Young carers are young people who care for a parent, grandparent, brother or sister who is ill, has a disability or experiences mental health, drug or alcohol issues.
You might be:
- cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking;
- providing personal care for a parent;
- giving medication or reminding them to take it;
- helping someone get up and get dressed;
- staying in to be there for someone; or
- worrying a lot about someone while at school or out of the house.
What help is available?
- Mentoring - one to one support to help you move on, in and out of school, and just someone to talk to when things get you down.
- Day trips and weekend residentials - take a complete break from your caring role, make new friends and get involved with fun stuff like outdoor pursuits, bowling, ice skating, cinema trips, skate parks and big theme parks.
- Youth clubs and after-school clubs especially for young carers - hang out with other young carers who know what you're going through and get to know our young carer workers. Play pool, have a go on the computers, learn new skills like easy cooking and crafts, or just sit and chat.
- Family support and information - we can help support your whole family, making sure you've got all the information you need, accessing the right services and effectively getting all the support you can, as a family.
If you'd like more information please visit our website www.youngcarersresource.org where you can find out all about us and also complete an enquiry form if you are interested. Alternatively give us a ring on 01423 500555 (Harrogate, Ripon and Craven areas) and just ask to speak to a member of the Young Carers Team.
Support for Families
Support for Families is a free, confidential support service for families living across the Scarborough Borough. We are particularly keen to offer support to young carers and young parents, so if you feel you need a little bit of extra help with the demands of life then we can offer you an informal, friendly and non-judgemental support service.
When everything is going well you may not need us but sometimes it is good to know that there is someone local at the end of the phone if you ever do.
For more information contact Wendy Smith or Sara Adams, Support for Families co-ordinators on 01723 383450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For events and activity pages bookmarking will mean you get email and SMS reminders.
For normal pages bookmarking makes the page appear in your Top 5.